Thursday, October 2, 2008

What page # are you on?

Is it just me or does the page # tracking feature on Goodreads seem a little Big Brother-y? Do you really want to know that I am on page 114 of Tales of a Shaman's Apprentice? If so, please also realize that I will probably stay on that same page for a long while because I've been lured away by other more escapist fare.

I think I'm on page 53 of Stalin's Ghost by Martin Cruz Smith. However, should I change that number tomorrow when I'm on page 73 . . . or page 54? If I read 100 pages, am I a "good" reader or was I just procrastinating a whole lot?

Just asking.

I guess I love making lists but I'm not so big on counting.

4 comments:

julienj said...

I have to say that I was a little freaked out by it, too. I already felt that it was somewhat self-indulgent to think that anyone cared to know exactly what I was reading when, and I felt silly about my desire to keep my GR reading list up-to-date. But this takes it to a whole new level.

Doc Jen said...

I wonder if it's going to make people self-conscious about how fast or slow they read. Anyway, I think I have filed it under "people with way too much time on their hands."

I'll focus on reviews and long to-read lists.

holdenj said...

I couldn't figure out at first how you two had added that function to my home screen on goodreads, because I wasn't "currently reading" a book. Once I added "The Grift", the little section appeared! Sorry, I forgot to mention I was on page one! Even though I got a kick out of knowing how many loads of laundry I do in a year, it does seem a bit much.

You would need almost constant access to a computer to keep updating your pages! I have teens and one computer! We're lucky I can tell you when I abandon a book as well as read them!

crossons said...

Geez, I'm oblivious. I hadn't noticed until now! I agree - it is just a bit too much, and I'm totally with Julia - who the hell has time to update something like this?????