Wednesday, February 11, 2009

More on Scholastic

I know I've lamented the decline in Scholastic Books' catalogues; I remember with great vividness the excitement I felt as a child when the new flyers came out, and the happiness when my new books arrived. I want my kids to have those feelings, but I have to be careful: if I promise to get them something, they are quite likely to choose something that it isn't a book and/or has some commercial tie-in. Well, I'm not imagining it; there was an article in yesterday's New York Times that reports one-third of the offerings aren't books.

2 comments:

holdenj said...

I thought the same thing when S and J were young. In fact, I remember the back page being especially bothersome, with sets of computer games and sets that were actually ongoing. You join the horse book club and get horse books every month. And like you, I relished the Scholastic book flyers as a kid, and even still have a few of my purchases floating around the house today. Do you remember some of the older kid ones, like "Whatever Happened to Amy"?

And for DocJ, because I don't know if I can figure out how to post this to FB, there was a NYTimes article reprinted in the Strib yesterday about the 25 things.


http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/05/fashion/05things.html?scp=1&sq=Ah%20yes,%20more%20about%20me&st=cse

John G. said...

[Shana's husband here] Good post. I thought is was just me being "all nostalgic" for the good old days. I still have a few little hard-covers I got through Scholastic. It was a "big deal" to order books and always very exciting when the orders arrived. It felt like a rare event - something that didn't happen too often. Now it seems like the darn catalog comes home every other week, full of all the junk.

Whew - got that out of my system! That felt better.