Monday, March 2, 2009

Zones

It's getting to be that time and I keep meaning to ask JNJ, what zone are you? It seemed so late last fall you were still digging things out of the garden. Granted, it may have been working as cold storage for you, but I was curious!

I can't believe it's the beginning of March already. I always get the itch to start plants inside, but have had terrible luck when it comes to do the transplant. Have you guys had any luck with starting your own? I stick to what I can seed in the ground, or go ahead and buy the starters--especially for things I don't necessarily want a whole lot of anyway!

3 comments:

julienj said...

We're in zone 6, just over from zone 5. Our snowdrops have been up for several weeks, and crocuses had started blooming...hopefully they'll survive the foot or so of snow we got today.

Eric just ordered a bunch of seeds- a few kinds of beans, sugar snap peas, cucumbers, tomatoes, lettuce mix, broccoli (new this year!), soybeans (also new!). He has started a few things indoors the last few years - he has a nice, sunny, wide windowsill in his office, so he gave that over to seedlings. We don't have any other space to start things, so everything else gets started in the ground, or we buy small plants, especially herbs and usually some heirloom tomatoes - there are some folks down the street who always sell seedlings.

holdenj said...

See, I knew you had to be a pretty good zone!

I had good luck with broccoli for two years, then the deer decided to eat it. I bought little plants...I didn't think I could swing those from seed here. I usually do lots of the cool veggies like radishes, peas, lettuces, carrots, onion sets then move to beans and such from seed. I always buy tomato plants, zucchini (I can control how many I have then!), most herbs and the like, especially if they need a lot of warmth.

julienj said...

We have a good zone, but we don't have much for sun around here - way too many trees - and the soil is really clay-ey. We have raised beds in our yard, which helps with the soil, but there are still some things that don't do so well with the relatively small amount of direct sun. Starting 2 years ago, we started renting garden space in a community garden. Lots more sun, but we have the soil problem there, plus it's just far enough away (other side of town) that we're not real regular about caring for it. Eric's plan is all tomatoes there, and to use our precious raised beds for everything else.