Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Cookbooks

I usually don't read cookbooks from cover to cover. In fact, I never do, but sometimes I enjoy browsing through some, looking at the various recipes. Most often I am looking for inspiration for cooking that night's dinner, since I'm rarely organized enough to plan a week's menu in advance.

Of course, some cookbooks are more suitable for this than others. Mark Bittman's cookbooks are some of my favorites for menu ideas, and I love his no-nonsense style with suggestions for variations and shortcuts. (There's also a "How to Cook Everything" iPhone app.) "The Best Recipe" (also known as "the recipe book" in my house), pulling together recipes and techniques from the magazine "Cook's Illustrated," includes large blocks of text with explanations for the specific proportions and timings for each recipe. This is especially helpful for learning what makes a dish turn out the way it does - thicker or crunchier or whatever. The same goes for the King Arthur cookbooks, with variations for specific recipes so you can make brownies, say, with similar flavor but fudgier, cakier, thicker, thinner, etc.

This morning I picked up a cookbook I received for Christmas. It, too, has plenty of text, plus some lovely color photographs, and I couldn't remember why I hadn't used it at all yet. Then I started skimming through it, and I remembered: the layout is infuriating. Almost every recipe runs two pages, but the ingredients are on the right-hand side, and you have to turn the page to see the directions. It might make for good reading, but I don't think I'll ever cook from it.

2 comments:

crossons said...

I have favorite cookbooks - some for recipes, some for reading. When reading Julie and Julia, I borrowed a copy of Mastering the Art of French Cooking. I didn't read it all, but quite a bit. It was wonderful. (I wonder if Netflix has any Julia Child!! Why yes, yes it does!)

Two of my favorite cookbooks for recipes are rather embarrassing to admit. Both are Betty Crocker Cookbooks. One is my grandmother's 1950 version, the other is my mom's 1980 version. My kids think they are hysterical. But when you need a recipe for Blondies or au gratin potatoes? The fancy, contemporary cookbooks just don't cut it.

holdenj said...

There are definitely "go-to" cookbooks in the kitchen around here too. And S., you're not alone! I have said it's like having dueling grandmas in the cupboard...you can check both BC and BHG for the same recipe, yet they're different!
JNJ--I do like to read cookbooks, especially old ones. I have quite a collection going. But, as far as practicality, I can imagine your new one is difficult to use!