Thursday, February 3, 2011

Julie's scant top 10 in 2010

Well, as I mentioned before, 2010 seems to have been a year of poor book choices: although I read 90-some books by my Goodreads count, I am including only 7 on my end-of-year list. There were a number of books that I enjoyed that get honorable mentions for being fun reads, but they don't make the cut; however, taken all together, I have 9 books plus a three-book series.

In no particular order, here are my seven books, with a one-line summary of each:

1. When You Reach Me, Rebecca Stead

Newbery winner, with a Madeleine L’Engle-like story. I can’t come up with higher praise.

2. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, Rebecca Skloot

A non-fiction account of the woman behind the cells used in research, and the journalist’s search for her.

3. The Book Thief, Markus Zusak

A powerful story about life in a small German town during WWII, and the importance of reading.

4. Going Bovine, Libba Bray

A hallucinatory road trip involving a hypochondriac dwarf, a punk angel, and a boy with mad-cow disease.

6. Mockingjay, Suzanne Collins

A satisfying conclusion to the best series I’ve read in a long time.

7. The Lost Books of the Odyssey, Zachary Mason

Supposedly a translation of 44 short texts that offer variant versions of the Trojan War myth, many of them melancholy musings about heroism, love, and home.


Honorable mentions:

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows

The Magicians, Lev Grossman

City of Bones series, Cassanda Clare

3 comments:

holdenj said...

There are some in there that I really liked too.
And a couple yet to read!

crossons said...

I read "Henrietta Lacks" too -- it was moving and horrifying all at once. And oddly, started the Book Thief just last night, but am not going to continue.... I'm probably the only person who didn't like it.

Thanks for other new ideas! JJ just started the City of Bones series...

julienj said...

I started "Book Thief" when it first came out, and I couldn't get past the idea that it was narrated by Death, so I put it down after about 10 pages even though it had a bunch of rave reviews. I decided to try again after Jenny read it, and I was really glad I did. It's not a happy book, but I've noticed that while I enjoy happy endings, I generally find that books with happy endings are not in my top 10...hmmm...