Tuesday, October 16, 2007

End of summer gardens


I'm going to take a tangent from books to gardens for a post.... we are very near the end of the gardening season, and as much as I love gardening, I also love this time of year when I don't have to! I'm not sure I'd be as enthusiastic a gardener in a climate where I could work all year round....

In the last few weeks, I have a newly planted delphinium blooming for the 2nd time - what a trooper! I picked the last few tomatoes - they won't get any riper outside, that's for sure. And, here's to show you that you really should procrastinate -- I actually planted my bulbs on time this year - in mid-September. But guess what - my crocuses are COMING UP already! I'm not sure that's a good sign!

My rain garden is getting a good workout these last few weeks. I ended up changing the berms to force the overflow to go around my year-old Japenese lilac tree. I think it was getting a bit too much water....

3 comments:

julienj said...

There are some fall-blooming crocuses...hopefully that's what you planted, and that's why they came up! We have a big box of tulip bulbs we still need to get into the ground before it gets too cold.

holdenj said...

I know what you mean about our interesting fall weather. I have gotten new zucs, extra green peppers and some gorgeous petunias this fall. I have a family that's full of great ideas in the spring, but come fall, I'm Mr. Greenjeans, out there saving what I can and cleaning the rest up for winter.

I never have any luck planting crocuses around here--something must eat them or I plant them too deep. I've always loved that bit of color in the spring.

Doc Jen said...

You all would be ashamed to see my leaf-strewn yard and garden. The chaotic nature of my semester is being played out on my lawn in a big way. Yikes. I think that I'm going to have to break down and pay someone to "do" my lawn and get things ready for the winter (if it ever decides to show . . .). Why do I like teaching?