Sunday, October 28, 2007

Movies and plays

Movie topic #1: Saw the preview for The Golden Compass today. I read the trilogy a few years ago - long enough that I realize I'm going to have to reread the books. I admit the movie looks intriguing - beautifully done, visually stunning, etc. I know we've been discussing - on goodreads? are you all planning on seeing it?

Movie topic #2: (can we write about non-book related movies?) Just took my Girl Scouts to see Hairspray. 2 liked it, 2 didn't, 2 were indifferent. The adults loved it. Great music, preachy story line, but hey. And who can't help but giggle seeing John Travolta in drag....

Play: M and I saw Lion King on Thursday - not the movie, the Broadway over-production. I was totally hoping to hate it. Disney, overdone, etc. Just like I used to get so annoyed with the Guthrie for their big huge over productions. But I couldn't hate it. I tried. The costumes were truly stunning, and visually it was quite a treat. The first scene really is quite impressive. A couple of the actors had amazing voices - gotta love that. So, while I did end up really enjoying the experience, I still refused to pop for a $45 t-shirt. ugh. Some things are still overdone........

3 comments:

Amy Adams said...

Golden Compass--I hated that series, but I did read all three. I'll only go see it if there is much clamoring for it.

Lion King--we are going in about 2 weeks! I also hate the movie, but we are going because Bunny is deeply in love with everything Lion Kingly.

Wow! Just look at my cold dead heart today! I should just type "I hate everything" and then go back to bed.

julienj said...

I loved the Golden Compass books, but I have to say that they're a bit foggy in my memory. I'll need to reread them before the movie comes out, though it's no rush since I so rarely see a movie before it comes out on DVD.

I'm looking forward to seeing Hairspray. I love musicals! And the last movie-turned-into-a-Broadway-musical-turned-into-a-movie was "The Producers," which I thought was brilliant.

holdenj said...

I just read "The Golden Compass", partly to pacify my kids after all these years and because the movie is coming out. I could see Nicole Kidman playing Mrs. Coulter. I hope the movie stays pretty close to the book, those kids of mine are pretty tough critics when things deviate too much.

Sarah loved Hairspray. Saw it twice in the movie theater! I will get to it on DVD at some point.