Friday, March 21, 2008

Thank you, Jon Hassler

One of my favorite authors passed away yesterday.

I first read Jon Hassler's books sometime late in high school or in college. I no longer remember which one I started with, who suggested it, or why I read them. I expect it was Staggerford, but who knows. I do know that I quickly read as many as I could, and read new ones as soon as they came out.

At one point in my life, when I had time, I stalked used book stores. I had certain titles and authors I looked for - trying to get first editions or at least nice hardcovers. The more "versions" of a hard cover I could find, the better. Hassler's books were a prime candidates for these searches.... In the end, I think I have first editions of four of his titles and numerous copies of other titles.

I don't have any signed copies, though. Considering he lived only a few miles from our old house, and down the street from a friend, I'm surprised I never had a book signed by him.

Maybe his books appealed to me because they all (I think) take place in Minnesota. More than that, though, I think it's the characters. I especially adore the spunky Agatha McGee and how Hassler aged her gracefully through five of his books. His characters were vivid, almost caricatures of real people. That's what made them so readable. I always had that sinking sensation at the end of a book when I finished - I didn't want to leave them.

Hassler was quite ill the last years of his life. Amazingly, he continued to write until just a few weeks ago, finishing a novel shortly before his death. I look forward to one more Hassler novel to enjoy.

3 comments:

Doc Jen said...

Though I haven't read any Hassler, I've always meant to (because of the Minnesota connection). Your tribute here was moving and inspired me to search out a title to read over spring break at my local library. Thanks S.

holdenj said...

Hey, S. some beautiful thoughts. I, too, was amazed to read how he "wrote" near the end and will have one novel yet to come.

julienj said...

My condolences. Your connection to Hassler and his books made a lovely tribute. I haven't read any of his books, but clearly I'm going to need to add some to my to-read list.