Sunday, July 13, 2008

Back to Fiction

Well, sort of. I've read more Tudor history in the last few weeks than ever before. Yes, I've enjoyed it. No, I didn't read every word of those biographies. However, I think I will attempt to find them used to purchase and have on hand.

Although I am a history geek, I still can't read those biographies! I tried, really I did. I did make it through quite a bit of a bio on Anne Boleyn and a history of Henry's 6 wives.... just not all of it. And I desperately need to return to fiction!

Despite my disillusionment with historical fiction of late, I'll give it another chance. Anyone have suggestions?

5 comments:

Doc Jen said...

Your post made me think of an author that I enjoyed a few years ago and need to catch up. I read Kevin Baker's Dreamland and really liked it. He has a number of other books now and I think I'll add them to my goodreads list. He writes about the early 20th century in Dreamland but apparently he tackles Harlem in the 40's in his latest. Here's a link for Dreamland:

http://www.powells.com/biblio/17-9780060852726-1

julienj said...

Any preferences for time periods or locations?

I really liked Diana Gabaldon's Outlander books. They start in mid-20th century Scotland and then go back in time 200 years (still in Scotland), though the later books are set in 18th century America. There's time travel, romance, and sex. And a lot of Scottish history.

holdenj said...

A gal at work today just highly recommended Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet--twelfth century feudal England.
And did you get into The Wednesday Wars when some of us read it last year? It takes place in the 60's and is a YA book. It's such a recent time, however, I guess I don't so much think of it as historical fiction as a story that takes place in the past.

crossons said...

OK, I really jumped into fiction. Sophie Kinsella's "Can You Keep a Secret?" Funny, entertaining chic lit. I recommend it.

julienj said...

It looks like the perfect summer read. I'm looking forward to it!