Saturday, July 5, 2008

E's list

Here is E's list from the Swarthmorean. You could list up to five favorite books and five to read this summer; he chose to go for a less effusive style than I did.

Favorites:

The Yiddish Policemen’s Union, Michael Chabon (F)
I could say it’s a murder mystery with chess, Esperanto, pie, and Jews in Alaska, but would that really help? The plot and characters are engaging, but it really shines in the richness of its descriptions of everyday things.

Leadership Without Easy Answers, Ronald Heifetz (NF)
A welcome reminder in this election year that being a leader is less about being in a position of authority than about persuading people to take on the hard work of change for themselves, and that we all have responsibility to lead in the ways we can.

Moss Gardening, George Schenk (NF)
Why fight the moss in your lawn? This book is a great guide for enjoying the lush green carpet that grows so naturally in our shady borough.

To read:

The Lady of the Snakes, Rachel Pastan (F)
The Country Under My Skin, Gioconda Belli (F)
The Book of Getting Even, Benjamin Taylor (F)

2 comments:

Doc Jen said...

I love that E. included the book he was reading when I was there-the one on Moss Gardening. I'm going to add the Leadership Without Easy Answers to my list. Thanks for sharing these.

DJ

crossons said...

Whew - thanks for more books for my "to-read" list! I think I will adopt the summer list concept - next year. Now I gotta figure out this Smekday thing...