Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Bulbs are blooming and too many plants!


OK, they've been blooming for a couple of weeks, but I just got this picture, thanks to the Hobbled Runner. Cute little miniature grape hyacinth surrounds by tulips and daffodils, which you can't see.

Spent the weekend volunteering at the Friends School Plant Sale. I cashiered for 4.5 hours. I no longer have the stamina for that! More fun was doing inventory after the sale closed. I spent almost 9 hours over three days counting plants... every thing from Indian grass, various monardas and astilbe, to swamp milkweed and more. I learned a ton! I didn't really need any more plants for my yard, as Hobbled Runner would attest to, but geez, you can't work around them for that long and not find something new to try! So, now I have about 13 flats of plants waiting.... ugh. What am I going to do??? I'll post pictures!

4 comments:

holdenj said...

13 flats! Oh my!

Are they mostly annuals or perennials?

The lilacs are just about to pop out here...

I did get some spinach, radish and pea seeds just over a week ago and they're starting to pop through!

julienj said...

Holy cow! Though I know how easy it is to get carried away...

Our lilac bush smells great. We're thinking about cutting down our holly tree and getting a second lilac to put in its place. It might not screen us from the street as much, but would be much more attractive.

Our peas and fava beans are starting to bloom!

crossons said...

I'll be doing an inventory tomorrow... what can I use and what shall I give away. I think I have at least 15 tomatoes, but those will go to the cabin.

I got mostly natives and grasses. I only got a few annuals, and since the kids like to plant those, I still have to go to Home Depot or some such place to get impatiens and geraniums. I can't believe it!

julienj said...

We have a ton of plants that may be grape hyacinths - I had had it in my mind that they were a type of scilla, but they look more like what you have in your photo. I didn't plant them, but they came with the house. I love how they look right now. The only problem is that the flowers die back and then they're just a bunch of green leaves - I need to figure out something to put in with them that blooms later.