Monday, July 12, 2010

The Life Cycle of Basil








It's been quite awhile since I've posted but I thought I'd get back into the swing of blogging by featuring some pictures I took while making a huge batch of pesto a few days ago. I filled two plastic grocery bags with basil and the plants hardly look like I touched them. It's been quite a good month for basil and the tomatos are doing well too. I'll post some pictures of them later. The only drawback to the good plant weather is that the mosquitos are the size of small aircraft. Weeding and even watering often involves a lot of arm and leg slapping. Ah well.

5 comments:

julienj said...

Mmm, yummy. We've had bad luck with our basil for the last couple of years - something chews on it, or it just hasn't gotten very big. We're eating the last of our limited supply from last year, and I'm hoping we'll be able to grow enough to stock up the freezer again.

Doc Jen said...

Last year, I had a lot of those shiny beetle-like things that chewed the hell out of the eggplant plants and also nibbled on the basil. This year, though I've seen and eradicated a few, they haven't been too destructive. Go figure.

holdenj said...

I tried two different basil plants in two different locations this year and both completely disappeared. At least I have my rosemary! But no pesto. I've never had trouble like that with basil before, but it has been a strange year, weather wise.

julienj said...

We've given up on trying to grow rosemary. It never thrives, and one of our neighbors has an enormous plant that winters over really well, so we have a close source for fresh rosemary.

Our green beans are doing well, and we had a good garlic crop. There's a ton of lettuce in the garden right now. Our reddest tomato was taken by something - a raccoon, maybe? - but there are a bunch of others that are getting a tinge of red.

holdenj said...

The chipmunks have been digging up the seeds for the second round of green beans. What I can only assume were deer completely beheaded the zuchinni. How can I manage to not get any zuchinni?? We do have quite a bit of wildlife around here.