Sunday, July 29, 2007

Tag . . . You're It

I suppose it's cliche to begin with, "This is my first blog entry," but hey . . . it's my first blog entry. S. and I decided we wanted to blog about books because we both read voracioiusly (and in my case, rather indiscriminately). We've been throwing book recommendations back and forth for a while now, so we thought we'd enjoy something more official and electronic. The gardening idea/theme got tossed in at the last minute. I must admit that I am not really a gardener . . . I just have a garden. I have mastered the weeding and watering thing but other than that, I look to S. for advice. However, I did send some "gloating" pictures to S. earlier of my basil and peppers and as a result, "Fertile Plots" was born.

On to books. I will do my best to utter no Harry Potter spoilers in this entry and the best way to do that is just not to mention anything Hogwarts related. For now. Instead, I'll look to the past. Many years ago (and only S and I know how many), we sublet a house for the summer with our friend, Eric. The owners had gone off to work at one of the national parks that summer and as a result, we got a fully furnished place for pretty cheap. I had the bedroom that was the office/library and it was crammed with books. That summer, which was incredibly hot, I remember sweating a lot and when I wasn't working, reading an odd assortment of books from these shelves. Here's a partial list:

Confess Fletch: Gregory McDonald
Class Reunion: Rona Jaffe
A Fairly Honourable Defeat: Iris Murdoch
American Dad: Tama Janowitz
Absolute Beginners: Colin Macinnes
Coyote: Lynn Vannucci
Nights at the Circus: Angela Carter

The list goes on (because I read a lot that summer) but I don't remember much about any of these books except they represent my continuing love of all types of fiction. As one of my tutors wrote in her literacy narrative a few years ago, I'm a "book slut." It's not that I don't have standards; I just cast a pretty wide net. Hopefully, this blog will help me to remember what I read this summer when I look back 10 years from now. We'll see. Hurry up, S. I want to talk about Harry.

Well, off to a baseball game. More later.

No comments: