Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Valentine's Day!

I don't choose books to fit in with the season, so I'm not taking a break from Yiddish Policeman's Union to read a romance. However, it did make me think a bit about reading the right book at the right time. Is it good to read a book set in a cold place (e.g., Alaska) when it's cold out, or would it be better escapism to read something set on a desert island? Conversely, does it put a damper on a beach vacation to read something set in a cold/wet/snowy clime?

2 comments:

Doc Jen said...

Though I haven't thought of this in a seasonal way, I think that there are times when you're just not ready for a book (and conversely times when you are) and that has little to do with the book and everything to do with you. I sometimes abandon books when I'm just not in the mood for what they're doing (even though it's good). Does that make sense?

For what it's worth, several of the books I've read recently were set in warmer climes--Miami, South Carolina, Texas, and Mexico. However, the book I'm reading now is set in Massachusetts so clearly I'm not afraid to go where it's cold.

I guess what this means is that there is little conscious logic to my reading choices. :)

crossons said...

There definitely are times when I have to fit the book to the time/place. Choosing "cabin books" is very important. I saved each of the Harry Potter books for the cabin - it's a place I have more uninterrupted time to just get lost in the book. I tend not to chose heavy intense literature for the cabin (ok, when do I ever read that these days?)

I think I'd conclude that it's less the time of year than the place that helps determine what I read. I will have to ponder the seasonality of choices...