Wednesday, February 6, 2008

RIP Rosemary

Every fall we dig our rosemary plant out of the ground and put it into a pot. Every year, around this time, it starts turning black from the roots up until it's all crispy and dead. This year is no exception, alas; we have killed another rosemary plant.

I don't use tons of fresh rosemary in my cooking, but it's really nice being able to grab a sprig for something once in a while. And I just don't understand why we can't keep it alive throughout the winter.

3 comments:

holdenj said...

My MIL used to (note past tense) give me a beautiful potted rosemary plant on Mother's Day. It would sit on the patio and then I would bring it in to winter and it, much like yours, would die off after the holidays. I used to receive a pointsettia from them on my bday, which would succumb to the same fate. I just think our house is too dry in the winter.

I get a perfectly nice hanging basket for Mother's Day now, intended for one season use!

Wish I had a better answer to the cause, but I do feel your pain!

Doc Jen said...

As someone whose green thumb only seems to work outdoors, I feel your pain too and have no useful advice to give you. The list of indoor plants I have destroyed is serial killer long . . . which is why my summer garden gives me such pleasure.

crossons said...

I've never tried the rosemary plant, but will have to. I have been successful in overwintering geraniums (ok, not such a challenge) and yes, even pointsettias! The first time was an accident - it looked dead - around April. So, I just put it outside. It started leafing out again - it was beautiful! So, I've done it for the last few years. I'll never get them to flower again, but recently read that if you put them in the ground in the spring, they'll get very big and lots of foliage. No flowers, and they'll die with the freeze, but hey, it's something different. Not a lot of pointsettias in Minnesota gardens!