Friday, April 11, 2008

Tulips!

Tulips are starting to bloom around here - none in our yard yet, but I've seen a bunch of them around town.

We planted a whole bunch in our neighbor's yard a couple of years ago, but a lot fewer have come up this year. (Our neighbors are not much for gardening, and there are very few sunny spots in either of our yards, so when we asked them if we could put some flowers in the front of their yard, they enthusiastically agreed. Now we maintain their garden, and they take care of our cats when we're on vacation.) It's a tough spot because it's only about a foot and a half back from the road, so it gets snow, ice, and salt in the winter (not that we get a lot of any of those things around here). I've heard that tulip bulbs can "wear out," but this seems awfully fast.

2 comments:

holdenj said...

Oh, that sounds so lovely. I have heard tulip bulbs can have a "shelf life" of only a few years, but cannot substantiate that with any real proof, just hearsay! When I stop seeing them come up, I just assume something ate them...

I do have about two inches of daffodils coming up in front where it is sunny. Of course, that was before yesterday and today's wintery April snow/sleet/rain mix!

crossons said...

Tulips do have a short shelf life, so don't blame yourself! It really depends on the grower, your soil, sun, and if you feed them during the year. I have patches that have gone on strong for years, and others that come once and never again.

Do post pictures - I feel we're never going to get flowers this year! Glad I missed the recent snow.... although there is still snow here in Montreal - and a few inches of bulbs starting too!