Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Judy Blume is 70!?

And she looks pretty darn good, too! But it was surprising to learn she was 70 and has preteen grandchildren. The story was in this weekend's Strib, link may show up here:
http://www.startribune.com/entertainment/books/19368739.html?location_refer=$sectionName. I'm never sure about my linking abilities. Also neat to see she's beginning another four book series to reach yet another generation of kids.

I don't believe Margaret would be "nearly 40". In my own mind, if I were to guess her age, I'd put her a few years older than us, rather than younger, mostly because of certain markers in her book, namely sanitary belts. They were available, I believe, in the mid to late 70's, but certainly a thing of the past for my age group as far as usage. I also read somewhere that Are You There God... was updated at some point...S. was never interested in her books, so I never reread that one. I did have a lot of fun rediscovering the Fudge books with J, after Double Fudge debuted.

2 comments:

crossons said...

M has read Are You There God a couple of times - I haven't reread, but maybe I should. I enjoyed the article about Judy Blume - I will have to look for this new series!

julienj said...

Thanks for sharing this article, J! I haven't read any of JB's books since I was a kid, but there was a time when I devoured her entire oeuvre (and felt very naughty when I got a peek at a copy of Forever). A. hasn't found them on his own - I don't think he'd be very interested in Margaret, but maybe he'll enjoy the Fudge books.