Friday, June 13, 2008

Lupines

I spent 20+ hours in the car in the last week driving to and from Indiana. We saw lots of late spring/early summer plants along the roadside! I have to admit it is much prettier than all the grass they used to mow.

In Wisconsin, we saw tons of lupines - mostly purple - along the road. In Indiana, we saw a type of plant that the rangers couldn't identify.... so we tried, and we think we got it, although now I can't for the life of me remember what it was! Hopefully SDMoose will see this and respond...

As for my own gardens (since we are supposed to blog about gardens as well as books...), the lupines here were startling when we got home. I planted these last year, and this year they are gorgeous!! I doubt they'll be this nice again, so I thought I'd post a picture for posterity.

The lupines are on the edge of my expanded rain garden. This year, I planted swamp milkweed, turtlehead, monkeyflower, prairie smoke grass, side oats grama and a couple more. Most of this I found at the Friends School Plant Sale in May. I will post more pics as these plants establish themselves...

6 comments:

amy said...

It was a viburnum! Since that plant was ALL OVER that area of the park I certainly don't think too highly of those rangers!

holdenj said...

I noticed on the way home today, that my neighbor's lupine seem very tall as well--maybe this kind of spring with the cool, wet weather is really good for them! Your pic looks beautiful, by the way.

As far as our garden grows, things seem kind of small in the vegetable arena. My peonies just started bursting out this week--they are pretty too!

julienj said...

These are gorgeous! I'd love to see pictures of your other plants; I don't think I've ever even heard of most of them.

Our sugar-snap peas started bearing this week. Mmmm.

crossons said...

Wow - just checked the Friends School plant sale blog - and they are featuring my picture! I'm famous!

julienj said...

Congratulations! Your photo certainly is attractive enough to inspire people to buy plants.

holdenj said...

Yes, I went and checked out their site as well and saw your prominently displayed lupines!!