Monday, August 10, 2009

John Hughes

It's always sad when someone dies so relatively young. And I have been interested to read about what may have been a two-way disenchantment with the business.

On to the polls. Have you guys noticed the lack of Sixteen Candles making the cut?? What's up with that?? I would have voted for it. But C. reminded me about how The Breakfast Club really introduced us to more of those young actors who made up much of the Brat pack of the 80's.
Certainly have some good memories of his hits.

3 comments:

Doc Jen said...

I think I prefer Sixteen Candles over Breakfast Club as well but I always will have a soft spot in my heart for Some Kind of Wonderful (I think it's an Eric Stoltz thing).

I still remember watching Pretty in Pink (again) when in London in 1986. It made me a bit homesick . . . for about an hour. :)

julienj said...

I think you're right that people point to Breakfast Club as being "more important" because of the Brat Pack thing. Sixteen Candles also had Molly Ringwald and Michael Anthony Hall, but the other actors didn't get the kind of press that the other BC actors did. I think Saint Elmo's Fire was the apotheosis of Brat Pack movies.

That said, the end of Sixteen Candles is still one of my favorite sequences in movies...Molly Ringwald's "who, me?" look after the wedding is priceless. I need to see this movie again and see how well it aged - I know I saw it sometime between the 80's and now, and the Long Duck Dong part was really painful.

Doc Jen said...

Yep, the Long Duck Dong bit and Joan Cusack in a neck brace were two parts that would be nice to edit out now.

There was just an article in the Chicago Tribune about Hughes funeral. It was a private ceremony at a Lake Forest funeral home but people like Matthew Broderick and Ben Stein came and spoke.