Saturday, September 8, 2007

Disappointed and moving on

I finally finished, well sort of, the latest Maisie Dobbs installment, Messenger of Truth. I really, really wanted to like it. But, it didn't live up to my expectations. I actually skimmed the last 50+ pages to get to the end. Oddly, there were many subplots in the story that ended up leading no where, the romance fizzled quite unremarkably and unbelievably, and an intentional tear jerker child death really detracted from the point of the book. Oh well, I'll move on and hope the next book in the series is better!

Now I'm on to a choice. Two of my book clubs meet the last week of September. In one, I'm leading the discussion of Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon. I read this last spring. It was amazing. Truly amazing. One of the only books recently that I've found with that true "I can't put it down!" spirit. It's a long book, so I wanted to read fast. But you can't. It's dense, tiny type (what - 8 point???) but you want to, have to, read every single word. So, do I have to reread it to lead the discussion?

My other bookclub is reading Atonement by Ian McEwan. I've just started, but it, too, seems dense and not a quick read. Why are all my book clubs picking books I have to think about? Give me Lorna Landvick! or the Mermaid's Chair or something I can read fast when I'm nearly asleep. (OK - this is how out of it I am .... I see that Atonement has just been released as a movie. Maybe that's why it was picked....)

Opinions, please? Which to read first?

2 comments:

Doc Jen said...

S:

I feel your pain. I'm about a 1/4 of the way through Michael Chabon's newest and though I'm enjoying it (and picking up lots of new Yiddish phrases), it takes more concentration than I have this evening. I did that crazy 5K in Lake Michigan this morning, and now I just want to lay down with a mindless, chick lit book. Do you think Michael would mind if I strayed this evening? Hmmm.

I know this doesn't help you decide which book to read . . . maybe you could do them in alphabetical order. :)

Doc J

Amy Adams said...

Weighing in on your dilemma--surely there are some on-line reviews, summaries and/or discussions you can review for Kavelier & Clay so you don't have to re-read it entirely while on a deadline.

This allows you to read the McEwan, which I had such a hard time with, even with a lot of other readers rhapsodizing about it, that I ended up skimming it and missing most of the point of the book. So give this one enough time. Or just go see the movie and fake it! Not that I'd ever do that or anything. . .