Thursday, September 27, 2007

Red Legg'd Scissorman

Don't you love odd coincidences? This character, the Red Legg'd Scissorman, one I've never heard of, is in the last two books I've picked up - The Fourth Bear and The Adventures of Inspector Lestrade. Isn't that odd?

For background, this character is threatened by parents to come and cut off kids' thumbs if they suck their thumb. Lovely. As both these books are written by Brits, I figured this was some British folk tale thing. A little research reveals that no, it's really German. It's from the Struwwelpeter stories by Heinrich Hoffman written in 1845. Creepy little teach-your-children-a-lesson stories. And stories I researched when I worked at a Victorian house museum - they are very Victorian.

Now, I find it even more odd that this character is in both these books....

p.s. check out the cover of The Fourth Bear on the link above - I want that U.K. hardcover version!!!



6 comments:

holdenj said...

I can't wait for James to get home and tell him about the Red Legg'd Scissorman! And to read about it in two very different books! I agree, gotta love those UK covers. Also, on the Holmes side, did you ever read the Larry Millet ones? I found them to be rather dense and dreary and only read the one about the ice castle.

Doc Jen said...

Trust those Germans to come up with some really creepy stories to scare children. I love that you researched this, btw.

Some day soon, you should do a list of all the writers who do Sherlock Holmes pastiches--one time ones or series ones.

On the more highbrow side, have you read Arthur & George by Julian Barnes?

Jen

julienj said...

Ai yi yi. Though, as J points out, not really that surprising - have you ever read the original Grimm or Andersen fairy tales? The Little Mermaid doesn't really end up with her prince...

J

crossons said...

Howdy-
As I guessed, many others have beat me to the list of Holmes patisches - here's one.

But - I can still do my own! Excellent idea. Since we've all been raving about Kavalier and Clay, did you know that Michael Chabon wrote a patische - The Final Solution. Not fab, but a good read that makes you think.

Arthur & George is sitting by my bed...waiting. Best put it on my "to-read" list on goodreads!

I have read the Millet books. Not my favorite, but I have read all of them. I see Larry frequently - he does tons of research at the library at work - so maybe that makes it fun? He always references major Minnesota history events/places, etc., so that may also be why I've enjoyed them....

Amy Adams said...

Did you know that Wilson Library at the U has an entire 221b Baker Street? I just read about it in the alumni paper.

Also--I adore Jasper Fforde. Mr. Sweetie gets nervous when he is in town for a reading--afraid I won't come home!

crossons said...

OK, Mistress of All Evil... you MUST tell me next time Mr. Fforde is in town, OK???????????