Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Wild Quinine

Sounds pretty wild, huh? Just got a new plant from a neighbor who is digging out (!) her garden! Egad!! The owner before her was a huge gardener and planted a variety of interesting things. It was very fun to watch through the summer. The new owner wasn't interested, so offered the plants to her gardener neighbors. We happily saved almost everything!

There was one plant I didn't recognize, so ignored at first. However, it kept drawing me back. On the last possible day, I dug it up, thinking I'd get someone to identify it or look online. Fortunately, the original gardener had planted the id tag with the plant!

It's wild quinine, or American feverfew. Turns out it's a native plant, good for my native plant raingarden. Perfect!

2 comments:

Doc Jen said...

S:
This makes me think about all the "pursling" (sp?) we pulled out of our garden (yet they're selling it at the farmer's market.) Hmmm. I actually like the name "American feverfew" almost as much as Wild Quinine.

Well, work and droves of mosquitoes have kept me out of the garden (hell, out of the yard period) but I hope to start cleaning/clearing up for winter soon.

J

P.S I promise to blog soon. Did you hear Madeline L'Engle died? That might be my next topic.

julienj said...

That's purslane. Not sure why I know this...