Sunday, November 11, 2007

National Bundt Day

Bundt Cake Bliss
Did you know that November 15 is National Bundt Cake Day???? Really..... it really is. Watch Martha Stewart on the 15th to see for yourself!

I moved this conversation over to Fertile.... The thread commenced with JH putting the very fun Hot Dish Heaven cookbook in goodreads. (I have to admit a bias here - this book is published by my employer.) I then had to do a shameless plug for Bundt Cake Bliss.... (more bias here - not only is this published by my employer, but the author is a good friend. Read more about her in the Hobbled Runner story....) I admit I know far more about Bundts than I ever thought I'd want to.

So, then I come to learn something very interesting about our co-author julienj... did you know she has a "thing" about bundts? I've known her for well over 20 years, and NEVER knew that!!! Crazy! I want PICTURES of all your bundt pans!

If any of you, julienj in particular, wish to share any of your stories about bundts, please do so.... to go along with the publication of said book, we are collecting stories - it seems many people have secret obsessions or fond memories of Lutheran church dinners or grandma's favorite bundt! (Here are some more Bundt crazy people's comments on the Bundt)

p.s. julienj - I will put an autographed copy of the book in the mail for you if you can wait that long..... the reason you don't have many good recipes is that this is really only the 2nd Bundt cookbook ever published! isn't that ridiculous....

4 comments:

holdenj said...

Lots of links to check out! And who knew such a thing evokes so many memories for people! And I second, JNJ, that you should post a pic of some of your more interesting bundt pans.

I didn't have a bundt pan of my own until about ten years ago. Hubby and I were out for my bday (kids had a sitter, so it's at least ten years ago). We went on in to our local Target to finally let me pick out a bundt pan for my birthday gift. Under the cardboard liner deal, was FIFTY dollars! Being in retail, at first we thought we had stumbled into some sort of Loss Prevention sting. After talking with store mgrs and AP, it was determined someone must have returned it from a wedding or shower without closely looking at their gift. Six months later, in time for our own anniversary, Target called and we got to collect the money! I think of it almost everytime I use it.

Just saw a deal on the Food Network about the Pillsbury Bake Off. The Tunnel of Fudge bundt cake recipe is in their top 100--I think it won the whole shebang in the mid-sixties.

julienj said...

Ooh! Ooh! Thanks, crossons, I will be forever in your debt!!!

I haven't always been a Bundt fanatic, though I remember my mom making some good marble cakes when I was a kid. I found myself totally obsessing about the cathedral pan until I bought it, and by then it was a full-blown addiction. And no, I didn't find any money in mine :(

Unfortunately, finding good recipes has been a problem; I was briefly excited to see a Bundt cookbook at Williams Sonoma, but was dismayed when I saw that most of the recipes began with "take one box of white cake mix..." and then suggested adding coconut. Or chocolate chips. It wasn't really what I was looking for.

I know I have a photo of the haunted castle cake I made for Halloween a couple of years ago...I'll dig it out and post it for all to see!

crossons said...

OK, I need to stop obsessing about these. JNJ - here's a bundt contest, although we've missed the deadline!!! Watch for the winners.

julienj said...

Oh, this is very bad. I was just on the Nordicware website...there are a bunch of Bundt pans I hadn't seen before. Feeling the need for a gingerbread cottage pan...and the little castles...and how cool would it be to be able to make stadium cakes?!

Okay, I need to get a paper bag to breathe into. At least Xmas is coming up.