Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Made it to the plains

I've always heard that fads and fashions work their way into the center of the country from the coasts.

Well, just got off the phone with my friend Krissy, in Lincoln, NE (perhaps a little west of center, but getting there!), and she was all excited about something someone brought up at their bookclub last night. Yep, goodreads.com! She was surprised/not surpised I'd already heard of it, and I've duly sent her the link to be a friend. I don't know why I hadn't before, except of the ones I'd originally sent out back in Sept, only JTM signed up. So, I guess I just kind of stopped, and kept reading and posting!

Reading is such a solitary endeavor at times and this makes it so interesting. I hope she'll sign up and add a few of her own good ideas from the NE book club.

3 comments:

Doc Jen said...

Along those lines, I had a friend send me a link to Shelfari awhile back. It's pretty much the same concept as goodreads only not as user friendly (in my opinion). And, besides, all you folks are on Goodreads and I don't see any need to spread this bookish conversation out over more than two websites.

Though a number of people have joined goodreads, I notice we're (JNJ, SC, JH) particularly active with it. I know that part of the reason I push myself to write reviews (no matter how inarticulate I'm feeling) is because I know you'll all read them. Like you say, JH, it makes reading books into a community thing and how cool is that.

julienj said...

I haven't actively sought out other friends on Goodreads because I like being more involved with just our small group...and of the three people I invited, only two joined and neither is very active.

I really look forward to reading everyone's reviews! I know that we all have our own preferences, but if SC, JH, and/or DJ like something, I know that there's a greater-than-average chance that I will, too.

I do try to avoid being inarticulate, both there and here, but sometimes it's unavoidable :-)

crossons said...

you guys are never inarticulate! That's what's so incredibly fun about this. I do have reading communities that I enjoy immenesly (3 book clubs, to be exact) but somehow this is my favorite. Reconnecting with you all (and finding that Cate Ross and I share a passion for Jasper Fforde!) adds another level to the book discussions.

I've invited a couple people to goodreads. A handful have joined (and even as my friend!) but no one can compare to DJ, JNJ and JH in intimidating numbers of books read!

I have gotten a couple giggles out of the fact that JH and I read the same Sunday book reviews... the same books show up on our goodreads on the same day!