Wednesday, January 2, 2008

New Year's Resolutions

I've pretty much given up on making New Year's Resolutions since they're always the same - exercise more, lose weight, be more patient with the kids. It's hard to consider them binding when they've been my resolutions for...I don't even know how long.

I thought about resolving to read more challenging fiction, or at least set a ratio for myself. One serious work for every two young adult novels, or something like that. But what's the point of reading if it ends up being a chore? We've all talked about the pile on the bedside table and the lure of the new book shelf at the library. Why deprive myself?

Why, indeed. My resolution is to read whatever strikes my fancy, when it strikes my fancy, and to enjoy myself as I do so.

Happy New Year!

4 comments:

Doc Jen said...

Can I steal your resolution? Or at least borrow it? However, I will add a corallary . . . I resolve to make some inroads on the piles of books I own (thanks to some good used book sales in the last two years) as well as hunt down good titles at the library. I don't need to "buy" anything unless it's by an author I want to support.

Amy Adams said...

I love this resolution! Life is too short to read bad books.

holdenj said...

Yes, I second your idea!

And to dovetail Doc Jen, maybe I should buy a book or two to support publishing and authors. I also resolve to use that holiday B&N gift card on something for myself!

crossons said...

My resolution follows from the letter Doc Jen posted to make your kids love reading. I resolve to keep reading fun for my kids - to model for them how much fun it is to read. I won't pester them to read more than they can, not to make it something they are excited to do for themselves. So far, it seems to be working!