Monday, September 21, 2009

Pumpkin Harvest

I should've mentioned that we (that is, Eric) harvested our pumpkins a couple of weeks ago. He grew them in our "other garden" - we have a plot at a community garden where there's more sun than in our yard, but the soil is worse and there are no deer fences. They wound around the tomatoes and along the sides of the plot and did pretty well, but then the vines were dying off and some of the pumpkins looked like they might rot, so he harvested the lot of them and put them in the garage. A few were pretty greenish but turned more orange in the cool of the garage, and I cut up and cooked the ones that looked soft. There were a dozen; I've been trying to cook and puree them a few at a time so I don't go crazy on pumpkin production. I've found that cutting them into chunks and steaming is the easiest, though I need to strain out some of the liquid.

Besides having pumpkin puree in the freezer, I baked several batches of pumpkin-chip muffins, pumpkin cookies, pumpkin-chip loaves, and the long-awaited pumpkin pie...but I forgot the sugar in the pie. Aaauggghhh! I've never done that before. Luckily it tastes fine if you sprinkle A LOT of sugar on top.

6 comments:

Doc Jen said...

I love that you're going crazy with pumpkin stuff. I have to say that the Staben garden this year had lots of trouble due to the wacky weather. I have tons of green tomatos still sitting there on the vine. Even the basil didn't do it's usual flourishing this year. Sigh.

Oh and next year, we'll have to block off the garden a bit. Polly discovered that tomatos taste very good if you nibble them right off the plant. No deer, just a dog.

holdenj said...

Ah, yes, the dog! Bailey has been known to pluck green peppers right off! And didn't we see a pic of Duke in the tomatos too?

Congrats on all the pumpkin! What a great thing to have in the freezer for lots more pumpkin bread etc!

julienj said...

I was just reading a recipe for green tomato soup. I am somewhat skeptical about how good that would be, though...

Our basil didn't do that well because our scarlet runner beans really took off and overshadowed everything else. Not quite what we had in mind, though the beans were good.

crossons said...

Yes, you did see a picture of Duke in the tomatoes, and we have since learned that tomatoes aren't necessary good for him!!! They were causing some intestinal distress, shall we say. The distress was mostly ours as it was getting really annoying to clean up....

I love the pumpkin stuff! I feel that way about tomatoes. I have billions of little yellow cherry tomatoes! I finally found something online about roasting and freezing -- kinda like sun-dried tomatoes. They are DELICIOUS! Except now I have billions of roasted tomatoes....

Medical Librarian said...

Ah, now I'm hungry! And craving a Pumpking Spice Latte. . . .

Esme said...

Thanks for stopping by-how fun growing your own pumpkins.