Thursday, December 13, 2007

Hooray for a community of readers!

Thinking about what Sara posted in response to my ill-fated train conversation, and being part of a community of readers…I just want to say, thank you all! I’m enjoying reading more than ever now that I have a group of like-minded friends with whom I can share my thoughts, and I’m inspired by seeing what you’re all reading. You have introduced me to new authors and books. I am now thinking more about the process of choosing reading material and articulating what I particularly liked (or didn’t like) about a specific book. The meta-reading part of all this is making me a more thoughtful reader, I think.

4 comments:

crossons said...

Hear, Hear!!! I have so thoroughly enjoyed this blog and goodreads... I keep telling people about it. I feel like I've communicated with you all more in the last few months than in the last many years - it's been fabulous! And I've learned so much about you all - bundts, for example! :-) So, here's to another year of more books and community!

Doc Jen said...

"It's like My Space for older people . . . who read," I found myself saying to a colleague yesterday. I, too, have really enjoyed all the reading conversations (and related info sharing) that has gone on these last six months. It has reminded me how much I miss not having all of you in the same place . . . a dorm room for instance. In our crazy, busy lives . . . this has been a wonderful way to keep in touch and I, for one, am so excited to tackle the young adult portion of my "to read" list over the holiday break.

Here's to many more years of book chats, rants, and memories!

DJ

julienj said...

But when we *were* in dorm rooms, we didn't talk about books...did we? Lots of existential crises, and of course "I can't feel my face!" - but I don't remember reading for pleasure while I was in college. Goodreads isn't as good as, say, us all living in the same city and having time for weekly coffee dates, but there's a lot to be said for the immediacy of seeing that one of you have updated something. And yes, I admit it, I check both Fertile Plots and Goodreads many times each day.

holdenj said...

And JNJ, have your heat seeking feet ever warmed up?! Yes, I agree with all the above and have enjoyed all the sharing and ideas of the past months. (months! where does the time go?)

On to a New Year and new booklists!