Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Post Harry

There was an interesting article in the New York Times this morning about Scholastic’s effort to keep Harry Potter-like cash cows in the pipeline. Scholastic will publish the first of a series of 10 books in September 2008, with the sequels scheduled to appear in 2-3 month intervals afterwards. What I find interesting is that there isn’t much that’s organic about this series: the individual books will be written by different authors (the first by Rick Riordan, so I hold out hope for something entertaining; I like his Percy Jackson books). And Scholastic will hold the rights to all subsidiary merchandise, of which there will be a lot: the article lists Web-based games, collectors’ cards, and cash prizes; no doubt there will be many, many more items if the books are a success.

While I’m excited at the prospect of a new series aimed at 8-12-year-olds, I’m feeling pretty unhappy about the way Scholastic is going about this. For all I know, maybe many books or series are the result of market research, but this just seems awfully cold and calculating and artificial to me.

5 comments:

Amy Adams said...

The nerve! Who does that J.K. Rowling woman think she is, retaining the rights to her books? The nerve of some people. Doesn't she realize that even though she invented the entire thing herself, and wrote it with no contract in hand, and sold it in the UK first--that Scholastic had a RIGHT to all the merchandising and movie rights?

Well, at least no one has ever thought about a treasure hunt involving Benjamin Franklin before, so Scholastic is bound to be the recipient of many riches. *cough* National Treasure *cough*

Doc Jen said...

Has the book industry learned nothing from the movie industry? That is, if you are so focused on trying to create a "hit" or a "money-maker," the results are usually safe, boring, and not all that successful in the long run.

Arghhhh.

holdenj said...

But then again, it's really nothing new. Back before our time, the Stratemyer syndicate was very successful in using multiple authors and changing their characters as the times saw fit. At least these authors will be getting recognition for their work and not be writing under a generic pseydonym. And they are beginning, at least, with some good names.

I thought about the Nat'l Treasure thing as well! I hope these Cahill connections to famous folk don't turn the series into the Magic Tree House for tweens....

holdenj said...

Sorry I can't spell! I forgot to mention, and can't seem to figure out how to link in a comment, that there's a front page article in the Strib today about boys and reading. They list several book ideas for middle-school boys, some of which J has already read. (and those that he hasn't, I believe JNJ has read!) It all goes back to trying to make a spark or connection like docjen mentioned a few subjects ago!

julienj said...

JH, you make a good point. I hadn't thought about "Carolyn Keene" and "Franklin W. Dixon." I guess that back when I read the Nancy Drew books, I wasn't as clued into things like character continuity, so I don't remember noticing changes. But, validating DJ's comment, Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys are hardly cutting-edge...were they ever?