Saturday, December 22, 2007

I Love the Library!

I just had to write this quick post. In honor of being "officially" done with the semester (though unofficially I still have a few papers left to read and portfolios to assess), I paid a visit to the Waukegan Public Library. I had a printout of my "to-read" bookshelf from Goodreads.com and a big cloth bag ready to hold my selections. Yippee!

Of course, my slightly underfunded library did not have many of the titles I was seeking but they did have some. Unfortunately, somebody had checked out Second Helping, the second Jessica Darling novel I was hoping to indulge in as my first bit of vacation reading. However, I found some great young adult titles (as well as some other mind candy) to take her place . . . for now. Here's what I came home with:

Bust: Kevin Bruen & Jason Starr
Size 12 is Not Fat: Meg Cabot
A Great and Terrible Beauty: Libba Bray
Hero: Perry Moore
Before I Die: Jenny Downham
Broken: Kelly Armstrong
The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big Round Things: Carolyn Mackler
What My Mother Doesn't Know: Sonya Sones
The Protector's War: S. M. Stirling
Caucasia: Danzy Senna

There's nothing like coming home with a big bag of books . . . just waiting to be read. My inner ten-year-old is very, very happy at the moment and is quite content to ignore the house cleaning, bread baking, Christmas present wrapping, and holiday letter writing that needs to be done . . . for at least the next hour anyway.

Happy Reading and Happy Holidays all!

4 comments:

julienj said...

Congrats on finishing your semester! What a great set of books for you to read...I doubt I'll get a lot of reading time in the next week, but I'm hoping at least some time on the plane tomorrow while the kids are plugged into a DVD on the laptop. Have a great time, and happy holidays!

holdenj said...

Oh, DJ, that sounds like a perfect bag of books to get you started during your break! What fun!
The Mackler title reminds me of Angus, Thongs, and Full Frontal Snogging, the first of the Georgia Nicholson books by Louise Rennison. They are fun.
I had just read a review of the new Bray book--is Great and Terrible Beauty at the start of a trilogy, or are there only two?
Have fun ignoring housework--wish I were right there with you, but must clean for the big Xmas eve dinner!

Doc Jen said...

Yes, the new Bray book just came out and was recently featured on Powells daily dose so I decided to backtrack and read the first one first.

I loved Angus, Thongs, and Full Frontal Snogging . I'm going to have to track down those books too. The best thing about Goodreads is I'm now keeping track of things I WANT to read more purposively.

Good luck with Christmas Eve stuff . . . my mom's playing host on Christmas Day so I don't have to worry about my house until New Year's Eve.

Amy Adams said...

New Year's Resolution: GOODREADS.COM.

Also, I'd love to hear what you think about A Great and Terrible Beauty. I don't think I read it right. . .I think I missed something.