Friday, December 14, 2007

More Book Ideas

This blog was sent to my by the Hobbled Runner... he loves to suggest new ideas for fertileplots. Take a look for interesting new Kids Books - but don't be mislead by the Kids concept. As we have proven here, there are many young adult titles that are worth reading.

M has listened to the Emma-Jean title, and pronounced it a real winner. We have the Hugo Cabret book - it is a beautiful book. Kids have pronounced the story a bit dark for their taste, but love the images. I, for one, and thrilled to have a graphic novel type book get this much acclaim. And Knuffle Bunny, who wouldn't love another one of those?

I shelve in the library at school. I love having the chance to see all these books and sometimes stop and read them! I also enjoy the fact that I can rattle of authors for many of these books, and can tell you exactly which shelf they go on!!

Let us know if you have enjoyed any of the books recommended in the Books for Kids blog. I haven't read much more than the post linked above, but it has great promise!

3 comments:

holdenj said...

Well, I haven't read any of the books on the list beyond HP, but it does look intriguing. I was actually going to try one of the Heap books after JNJ's comments about them. They look as if they'd hold J's attention for a bit.

And thanks to your hobbled guy. How nice he thinks of us!

Doc Jen said...

I added this kidsbooks blog to my Blog Favorites Bookmark (the list has definitely grown) so thanks for the recommendation. I haven't read any of the books recommended though I remember reading a Nancy Farmer novel back in the day when I worked at Barnes & Noble (one that had won some sort of award).

Though the pay was terrible, the one nice thing about working at B&N back in the early 90's was that I was really aware of all the new books coming out (both for adults and kids). This made it tough on my wallet . . . but still, i'm not nearly so attuned to what's being published these days.

Doc Jen

julienj said...

This looks like a great resource - thanks to you and HR for passing it on! I loved the first two Septimus Heap books, so Physik is on my to-read list. I was interested in Hugo Cabret, but haven't read it yet - good to hear that it's not just all style and no substance. I read Nancy Farmer's House of the Scorpion a few years ago; very well written and rather disturbing (it had to do with illegal cloning), so definitely higher up on the YA spectrum. Speaking of which, it would be helpful if the blog would differentiate between different age ranges. I mean, the Knuffle Bunny books are great, but they're not aimed at the same audience as the Septimus Heap books.