Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Rain Barrel - Finally!



I have been wanting to install rain barrels for a few years, and we finally did! They are not the fancy kind from gardeners.com, but they are recycled food barrels. No idea what originally came in them!

It was not a difficult task, but we are not very handy around here, so it was a bit of a project. It seemed a bit odd to be sawing off perfectly good gutters... but it was for a good cause. John tackled the project and even wrote about it.

Now, we just need some RAIN to test them out!!

4 comments:

Doc Jen said...

I wish I could send you some of our rain. It keeps raining in the AM when I'm trying to bike and then it's fine at the end of the day when I'm at work. Sigh

Very cool barrel, by the way. I've been looking at those in the gardening catalog.

julienj said...

We've talked about getting barrels, too, but haven't done anything. So far we (well, Eric) have been in the habit of pouring off the water that collects in the cover over our patio furniture. We store it in plastic kitty litter buckets.

holdenj said...

We were just talking about rain barrels as well. I'll have to tell Chris about your setup. But, I gather we have been missing out on that one important ingredient, rain!

julienj said...

Eric was so inspired that he's getting one. He found a place on Craigslist that sells (and delivers) barrels, so he doesn't have to make his own, and it's much cheaper than at the gardening supply places.