Friday, June 26, 2009

They do come in threes, don't they?

What a week. Granted, Ed McMahon was old, Farrah had a terminal illness and there's already talk of Anna Nicole similarites with Michael Jackson's death, but still, to lose so many of our childhood icons at once.

I remember feeling so grown-up when I would stay up and watch Johnny Carson when I was babysitting. (it was that or Dick Cavett, no cable around there in those days!). I may not have always understood their joking in my younger years, but there was always something comforting about seeing Ed and Johnny spar.

And Farrah, gee, she married the six-million dollar man, remember? And I sure wasn't a big poster buyer or anything, but you couldn't doubt the power of those Angels, even though she was only one for a year. And I lived in Texas back then. Her influence on hair in those years was legendary.

Oh, I think we all have already missed the little boy Jackson was. But during my French class trip to France senior year, the biggest homesick moment came while hearing "Billie Jean" over the speakers at Les Halles while shopping. He was definitely a worldwide sensation at that time.

2 comments:

Doc Jen said...

It's been a rough month for 70's icons (RIP David Carradine). I actually feel a bit bad that Michael Jackson's death overshadowed Farrah's since she did a lot to raise awareness about cancer in her final year. I always like when someone exceeds your expectations. Farrah turned out to be much smarter and funnier than I ever imagined. Michael was kind of the opposite. The more I learned about the man behind the music, the more I was creeped out. His death seemed to be one more tragic odditity in a stream of oddities.

crossons said...

It was a surreal day...even when not really touched by the events. I'm with Jenny -- Farrah's death meant more to me that MJ. Yes, I watched Charlie's Angels. She was iconic, and as an editorial in the Strib said, she was a strong female character in an era just beginning to show them. Looking back, I'm horrified by how sexualized they were. But, gotta admit, it didn't cross my mind when I was in 7th grade. She went on and did really great things.

Maria likened Michael Jackson to Judy Garland -- a child actor who never had a chance to be a real person and ended up with major drug issues. Hopefully that's enough to keep M from ever using drugs!