Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Cabin Break

Took a little respite for a cabin trip. We went with two high school friends and their families. 8 kids between 4 - 10; 6 adults. A great time was had by all. But very little Harry Potter discussion! The two friends are both teachers - one 2nd grade, the other is middle school. Neither of them have read more than Sorcerer's Stone. So, not much discussion. I think they thought I was a bit nutty being so obsessed.... their loss!

To address some of J.'s points.... I concur that I liked the epilogue. It somehow put the whole story in a good place. It was so dark in spots, that I think I needed to know that good won out over evil. And come on, aren't we all a bit curious about what everyone ended up doing later? Good thing J.K. Rowling suggests in her interviews that she may do a Harry Potter encyclopedia!

I admit, I was curious about who raised Teddy Lupin. No, I didn't really HAVE to know, but I am curious. Interesting tidbits in the interview with J.K. about why Tonks and Lupin died....

I love the concept of a "Scooby gang!" It is a very fitting analogy for life, too. I often find that reconnecting with my Scooby Gang is highly beneficial for my happiness. This weekend, for example. One of the moms, K, I've known since 3rd grade. Mind you, we did not like each other much for some of that year, but quickly became friends. We've known C. since 10th grade when she beat us at cross country, but we got even by making her go out for the ski team.

Back to Deathly Hallows. I saw a letter to the editor from someone who hadn't read the books, as J. said, because of their evil anti-Christian witchcraft stance. As a non-Christian, I actually found this book following that angle - Harry is killed for the good of the world, then is risen? Hmmmm... sounds familiar.

My 10-year old just started listening to Deathly Hallows. Jim Dale is wonderful! I'll let you know how she reacts to the book. I am not letting my 7-year old read/listen to it yet. He's still on GOF, and I think I'll leave him there for awhile.

1 comment:

Doc Jen said...

Good point. There's some very Christ-like echoes in Harry's decision to sacrafice himself to save the world. (Very Buffy-like too!) Not quite as obvious as Aslan on the table in The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe but still . . .

I'm continually mystified by the "evil witchcraft" fuss . . . but then, I'm not a fundamentalist Christian (or a Christian for that matter) but to me these books are so immensely ethical and so clearly valorizing the "good" that I have a hard time taking the critiques I've read seriously. Did you read the book? No? Then, shut up.

If more people in the world followed the moral code valorized in the Harry Potter books, we'd be in much better shape. So endeth the lesson. :)

Jen