Thursday, August 16, 2007

School's in Session

It had to happen. The summer ended for me this Monday when I was called back to the college where I work for "Orientation Week." Classes start next week (which I am excited about), but this week I have gotten to sit through meeting after meeting. It's not that the information I'm learning isn't interesting or useful, but after so many hours spent SITTING in room after room, I have the brain power of a turnip (or maybe a squash!)

Still . . . I'm reading and in a rather "sluttish" way, to quote my friend, Nell. I'm halfway through The Bourne Supremacy and also halfway through The Good, the Bad, and the Undead. As if that weren't enough, I've been coquettishly eyeing The Dead Father's Club--a book I picked up from my local library (and that I have 14 Days, well 8 days now . . . to read). I have to say that this work thing is really getting in the way of my reading. Sigh.

Anyway, I'm enjoying The Bourne Supremacy partly because it is so different from the Doug Liman/Paul Greengrass film versions. There is no way they could film this novel (or the one before it) so they just took the basic premise and built a new filmic text around it. Robert Ludlum writes in such a detailed/dense way that I often finding myself having to slow down. Though I loved Franke Potente's (sp?) Marie in the movie, she's even better in the book . . . and I'm hoping she lives longer. :(

I am also enjoying the second book in Kim Harrison's series about an alternate universe version of greater Cincinnati populated with witches, vampires, and other supernatural creatures. It's just fun. I devoured the first one, Dead Witch Walking, and am happy to see that there are many more in the series waiting for me. It's got that "Buffy" sense of horror, romance, and lots of humor.

I have not had a moment this week to go out and take some snaps of my garden in all its overgrown craziness. It's pretty much a vegetable jungle at this point and will serve as a nice contrast to S's lovely flower bed.

Happy reading all!

No comments: