Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Kid Lit

From time to time, you may find me discussing kid's books. Now, most of these books I read to the kidlets. And, once in awhile, I really, really like the book!

Take the one I'm reading right now to the 7-year old... "Joe Sherlock, Kid Detective: Case 000003." I love Sherlock Holmes pastiches - even more than I like the Canon. The best, of course, is the Mary Russell series by Laurie King. (I'm sure J and I would welcome a discussion of these books at some point....) But, I must admit, this Joe Sherlock is entertaining.

Yes, it's written to entertain the 7-year old. Some crude body humor; 2-3 grade sentence structure; etc., but what a fun way to make it entertain the parents, too! This kid is a detective, loves Sherlock Holmes. His last name just happens to be Sherlock, and he goes by Sherlock. He happens to live in Baskerville, on Baker Street, and his arch nemisis is a girl named Irene Adler. I'm sure I'm missing more, because I am in no way an expert on the Canon (I told you- I prefer the pastiches!!)

However, I am going to use this to try to read a few of the stories to the 7-year old. I think he'd find a few of them entertaining..... any suggestions from any Holmes fans out there?

No comments: