Saturday, August 11, 2007

Gardens, finally


I've been meaning to do a quick garden post, since we intended to blog a bit about gardens, as well as books.

I recently hired the daughter of a colleague of mine to come and do some garden work. She's a junior in college. And I made her work outside in the 90+ degree weather! I am so grateful - she dug beds for me that I've been wanting to dig for 5 years!

We also dug a new rain garden. I'm obsessed with rain gardens. We don't have any water problems, but I think they are nifty. The point of them is to have a low bowl shaped area where the rain collects. The plants and low area help absorb the water, preventing too much runoff into storm sewers, parking lots, or houses.

I dug one last year, but we expanded it. Now I have the fun part of deciding which plants to plant. Unlike most of my gardens, I'm actually going to plan out the rain garden. Certain plants like to be in the low area (swamp milkweed and cardnial flower, both of which are barely visible in the background of this picture.) Others prefer to be on the edge, such as blazing star, lupine or little bluestem.

This is a picture of the newly dug area. The Japenese lilac is in the "dry" edge. I'll be filling in the wood chipped area this fall. More pictures then!

2 comments:

Doc Jen said...

I'm so impressed with you and your rain garden . . . beautiful and ecological. I still haven't started composting yet.

Well, you're pushing me to think bigger next year.

Jen

sabrina said...

hi jenny. its sabrina, the fabulous nobody from COD.
I figured since you mentioned your blog, and took the time to visit my lil' blog, I would check out Fertile Plots. How cool. What a great way for you and your friends to connect. I'd never thought of using a blog as a group connection!

I actually went to college, originally, for land and resource management. I got to work the organic farm and the sustainable woodlot for college credit! Needless to say, once I left Vermont I found it really hard to keep up with the ethic and lifestyle. I'm so happy to learn about people digging in the dirt and getting their hands dirty with conscious gardening. Our school's motto was actually "working hands, working minds".

I was very happy to see your comment at my spot, and I am rounding up some COD peer tutors for a field trip, so you will definitely be hearing more from me in the future. Till then, enjoy the fall!
-sabrina